Marjari Asana is a word derived from two sanskrit words, “marjari” means cat and “asana” means pose. This yogis pose is known as cat stretch pose also.
How to do it?
Step 1: Sit in Vajrasana.
Raise the buttocks and stand on the knees and lean forward and put the hands vertically parallel to create a table like structure with your body.
Inhale while raising the head and depressing the spine and lift the buttocks and expand the chest and abdomen. (Hold the breath for 3 seconds)
Exhale while lowering the head and stretching the back upward and contract the abdomen. (Hold the breath for 3-5 seconds).
- Perform the breath as slowly as possible or aiming for 5 seconds while inhalation or exhalation.
- Do minimum 5-10 rounds.
- Do not bend the arms, keep them and thighs vertically parallel throughout the practice.
It affects swadhisthana Chakra because it helps to control lower abdomen region organs and mainly the reproductive organs.
- It is useful for the backache and increase flexibility of the spine.
- It massages the pelvic region thereby strengthening it.
- It also massages the digestive organs and helps to reduce obesity and tightens the abdominal muscles.
- It is good for arteriosclerosis, asthma and bronchitis patient because it strengthens and stretches the integral organs and muscles and improves blood circulation.
- It helps in toning the liver, chest and kidney and helps to remove certain types of ailments.
- It helps to control thyroid and Blood Pressure and good for heart problems.
- It helps to strengthen the reproductive organs.
- People having neck, arm and legs injury should avoid doing it.
- People with any disease marked by inflammation and pain in the joints, muscles or fibrous tissues should also desist it.
- It should not be done at the time of pregnancy.
- People with dystrophy should avoid this.
- It should be avoided by the people who have insomnia, depression, anxiety, lack of exercise, chronic illness.
- If one is under medication, then one’s should do this under guidance.